Monday, July 9, 2012

An emotional moment for Suriya





“It took 30-odd years to truly gain an understanding of myself. I feel a sense of shame after witnessing the kind of insight the underprivileged and differently-abled children of today posses. They are the true fighters,” admitted Suriya.

The occasion was the 33rd annual award function of Sri Sivakumar Educational and Charitable Trust, held in association with the actor’s Agaram Foundation.

He added, “The main aim of this event is not for publicity, or for just showing off, but to identify more children who are bright in studies and need financial aid.” If Suriya was in an emotional mood, his younger bro Karthi spoke in a lighter vein. “This is our family function. Initially at school, there were many proud moments for me. When I reached the10th grade, I started feeling the pressure.
Everyone started asking me, ‘when are you going to get the prize money from your dad’s educational trust?’ That’s when I thought, ‘oh, I need to study well and live up to everyone’s expectations.”
Sivakumar and Suriya distributed cash prizes and certificates to state toppers and deserving candidates — including those from Sri Lankan camps and tribal communities, and also to disabled children. Suriya’s sister Brindha rendered the invocation song.

No comments:

Post a Comment